Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sad to go, yet grateful!

Today was my last day of work at Kennestone.  I have worked there in Neuro ICU for the past 5 years!  I was definetly sad as I drove into the parking deck for the last time today, walked through the tunnel, remembered that is where my baby boy was born, etc.  I am so thankful for what a great place and great people I have had the opportunity to work with. 

I have learned so much about the clinical aspect of nursing critical care patients.  But besides just that, I have learned alot about life and death, pain and suffering, and the joy of seeing someone recover and come back see us months later.  I have learned to talk about the end of life more than I would like, to cry with families going through a difficult time, to comfort an eldery person because they have recently had a stroke and can't speak.  I have had the feeling of complete sadness and joy at the same time as I realize that a patient is brain dead but will be able to save the lives of many others!  I am so grateful for the opportunites and "divine appointments" that remind me why I have been called to do what I do.

As I think of what lies ahead in my new job I am both extremely nervous and excited.  I will have the opporunity to learn and grow my skills working in a Cardiovascular ICU as well as  Trauma ICU. You see, after working in Neuro for this long I know NOTHING about open heart/cardiac patients and my trauma experience is limited to mostly head/spine trauma.  I am looking forward to learning and growing and having many more of those moments where I know God has called me for a specific purpose to this specific place!


No comments: