Monday, April 23, 2012

5k

I ran a 5k on Sunday in honor of a patient that I took care of a few months back.  It was the Coach Jay 5k and all the money went to his family. What a great tribute to him as running is what he was doing when his life was taken and it was apparently something that he loved! 
 I didn't even know this guy, but I am friends with his wife on facebook and have read numerous newpaper articles and such about him.  He was a young husband, father teacher and a NASA soccer coach, and from all I have seen, heard and read, he loved the Lord and shared that passion with everyone he came in contact with!  I was so encouraged and challenged by his wife and family the few days that I cared for him and even now, a few months after his death, I am daily encouraged by the faith of his wife.  She told me in the hospital that he posted something daily from his devotion in order to try and encourage others and now she continues that on his fb page!  I was blessed by caring for him and meeting his family in the midst of such a difficult time.

This was a picture I saw on the website that was shot of me running!HA:)

I have only run a few races, a 10k and this makes my 2nd 5k.  I think it is really fun and would probably do it more often if they were not so expensive!  At any rate, I only ran once this week and it was the day before the race (b/c I was sick) so I was just going to have fun.  BUT...adrenaline and excitement must have put some fire under my hiney b/c I was 2nd in my age group, finished in 24:54, ran an 8:01 min/mi., and finished 167 out of 800 runners.  Needless to say, I am pretty proud of myself:)

No comments: